[Dailydrool] Stopping oncoming animals...

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 12:31:25 PDT 2010

When I first had to start using the dreaded cane I detested it but I have found
it to be a nice deterrent to oncoming critters.  If it came down to protecting one
of my kidz I would use it to beat off another animal, snake or creepy person.
I also have used it to warn owners at the park who think they can let their
aggressive dog run off leash.  Let me tell you that will get some owners attention.
I now have decided that my lovely wooden cane is not only a fashion accessory
but a potential weapon to be used in an attack.  Maybe my 2' diameter cane is not
so bad afterall?

I haven't had any experience with mace or pepper spray on an animal.  I did
however see it fail during my time working as a nurse in our county jail.  What
the officers told me is that some people are immune to it but it can fail if the
adrenalin level is really high or they are on certain drugs like PCP.  You also
have to make sure that the oncomer is within the range of the spray.  The biggest
drawback for me is the flashback from spraying as I am very allergic to it.  So if
you are asthmatic or sensitive to perfumes/smells be careful.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang