[Dailydrool] Mace/pepper spray as a deterrent

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 16:07:33 PDT 2010

Having just completed my half day recertification in the use of pepper
spray I can pass along a little info that came with the instruction. First, it
is NOT as effective on dogs as it is on humans. Second, it is only accurate
as a  stream from 3-5 feet on a still day which makes the attacking dog way
too close  for my comfort. Thirdly, if the wind is not behind you, you will
spray yourself  and become temporarily disabled and the dog will keep on
coming and fourthly it  has a shelf life so you need to keep an eye on that.
An alternative I have seen recommended is Wasp/Hornet spray. You can get it
 legally anywhere, it has an accurate stream of up to 20 feet and you don't
have  to put it squarely in the eyes of your dog or human attacker like you
do with  pepper spray. Just a blast in the general area of the face will
back them off in  most cases. I know this is about dogs but several friends
who work in small  offices where they are alone much of the time, keep a can
handy for those "human  emergencies."
Even with regular training, I myself am reluctant to use pepper spray
because it can be so erratic.
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan