[Dailydrool] Out of Africa Bassets Update

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 11:45:16 PDT 2010

> Robert, you wished something on me when you mailed, all 3 peed in
> the house last night and they never do that LOL!

It's good to hear that your family has been reunited in its new home,
Karen. The peeing in the new house made me remember when we were in
the process of moving into our current house. This was back when we
were taking care of Friend Jennifer's bassets, Owen and Macy, during
the week while she traveled for work, and before young Charlie joined
us.

I brought Owen, Macy, and our Elsinore over to the new house for the
first time while I did a little work on it before the furniture came
over. While they were outside checking out the new backyard, I laid
some newspaper cut-outs of our furniture on the floor to try to work
out placement difficulties (where will all those bookcases fit?).

All of a sudden, all three hounds burst into the house, tore around
the inside in a wild Basset 500, and raced out the back door again.
However, on her lap around the house, Macy made a quick detour in the
living room and peed, while still running, on the sofa's paper cut-
out on the floor. She was clearly making sure any other dogs who
might come in would know that our house was her house. Macy had never
peed on our floor before, and she never did again. Just that once was
all the statement she felt she needed to make. Jennifer was mortified
when she heard Macy did that, but I thought it was funny and ever
since have referred to the incident as Macy's drive-by marking.

After the furniture arrived, I folded up all the cut-outs and put
them in a box to use the next time we move. Macy's marked sofa cut-
out with her dried pee on it is in the box. I think she'd be happy to
know that we'll be using her marker in all our future houses so that
our homes will continue to be hers, even though she's no longer here
to do the job herself. She died three years ago last month and will
always be missed.

Elizabeth