[Dailydrool] Tilly can shake

Dave and Sue Autry SAUTRY at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 16:50:41 PDT 2010

Dear Drool friends,
  I must tell you that today is a special day for our Matilda (Tilly) age 3 years.  We got her from a backyard breeder @ 6 weeks of age only weighing 6 lbs.  She will be 3 years on June 10th.
  She has learned to "shake a paw" on command.  It has taken about 6 weeks of repeatedly asking her to "shake" before treats.  In comparison, our 1 year old labrador, Phoebe, learned to shake after 2 days of teaching!!
  There certainly is a difference in breeds!!  But we love our little Tilly more than anything!  She knows she is special today. I can see it in her eyes.
  She is a headstrong red and white basset who gave us a time when we first got the lab puppy last September.  She growled when they first met at a neutral place - a parking lot. She still is possessive of her food and I needed help from a trainer so I could establish a feediong routine.  I feed the Puppy first, placing Tilly's food in front of her about 6 feet away. I then make Tilly sit-stay until the puppy is done.  Then I give Tilly the OK to eat.  Our feeding times are calm and controlled.  Tilly no longer lunges at Phoebe's food.
  Bassets are slow learners, but with persistance they can learn!!
  I love reading the drool every day!!  Sue, Slave to Tilly, Phoebe and Caseymae ATB Ms Kitty ATB