[Dailydrool] Happy 13th Birthday, Louie!

Susan Nickle snickle717 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 03:44:28 PDT 2010

Tomorrow, June 5, my sweet Louie will celebrate his 13th birthday. He has been the light of our lives since he was an adorably silly 10 week-old pup tripping over his ears. The years have flown by much too quickly and yet, as I look at his graying face, it is hard to imagine a time when he was not a part of my life.

He has managed to age quite gracefully and, in fact, hardly seemed to be showing his age at all until last fall when he developed some back trouble and a pinched nerve in his neck. A couple of months ago he was tentatively diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis after I noticed his bark sounded hoarse and he would occasionally experience some coughing while eating. Fortunately, visits to the chiropractor have helped the discomfort in his neck and for now the laryngeal paralysis is not progressing much and so we will monitor him closely for the time being. His back trouble is a bit more challenging to manage as my still young-at-heart boy will run around the living room or come charging into the house at 60 mph like a 3 year-old when he is feeling good, but the next day will groan a bit on getting up and lying down. But all in all, for his age he is still doing remarkably well. And his joy for life is as strong as ever.

He got the full beauty treatment yesterday - bath, nail trimming, ears cleaned, teeth brushed - so he will be gorgeous for his big day tomorrow. His party hat and candles for his duck-and-potato burger cake are all ready. This morning I will head out in search of the perfect birthday present for him. He has always enjoyed opening gifts and just loves Christmas and his birthday each year. We will forgo his usual birthday trip to the park as I feel he would overdo it too much, but he will get lots of extra treats, love and even an evening ride in the car to help make for a special day.

Happy Birthday my sweet Louie. May you know every day of the year how much I love you.

Sue