[Dailydrool] Drawing Blood

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 14:51:56 PDT 2010

Our vet says that bassets have the "hardest veins to hit of all the breeds" and
"when they are dehydrated or scared it is even harder".   That being said Doc's
policy is that he draws all the bassets in the practice so they are not subjected
to multiple sticks.  The techs, who are all wonderful and very skilled, have no
problem with the policy.  As a nurse I love to watch Doc draw because he uses
the same techniques I do for those rolling veins.

If you have ever had an arterial stick in the wrist where the person misses or digs
around you will know exactly what it feels like for a basset when the stick hit the
radial nerve.  OMD, I would have liked to bite everyone involved from the person
doing the stick to the nurse holding my arm.  (I am not squeamish about sticks but
D*MN it hurts!)

Robert you are absolutely right about going in before that alcohol being dried.
It will sting more but then that needle stings to as it goes in too.  As a nurse
my motto is "it is better to give than receive".  I have no problem telling the lab tech to
wait until that alcohol dries before they stick me.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog Houe Gang