[Dailydrool] Young Charlie suffers some more

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 15:53:57 PDT 2010

I got a call this morning from the vet who's covering for my
vacationing vet today. She said we needed to return today so young
Charlie can have a little more blood drawn. Apparently yesterday's
test came back with a low glucose level. The vet said that can happen
for a variety of reasons, stress being one of them. Oh, Charlie
wasn't stressed during yesterday's blood drawing. Oh, no. Not at all.
So to be on the safe side, the vet wanted to retest Charlie's glucose
level (I keep wanting to write glucosamine instead of glucose) and, I
guess, see how much more she could stress him out.

Charlie was absolutely thrilled to hear about this when I told him.
Took forever to get him from the car into the vet's office because he
kept trying to use the "gotta sniff this" excuse to delay going in.
Yesterday he followed the vet happily into the back room, and I could
hear the vet telling him, "You'll go with just anyone, won't you?"
This afternoon he was less willing to follow the nice lady back
there. He went, but his tail was down this time instead of waving gaily.

They also checked Charlie's poop to see if he has some other kinds of
worms. He doesn't. His poop is clean. But I'll tell you who's going
to have worms, it's our Elsinore. My mother's block has an awful
stray cat problem, and they all seem to have decided that her yard is
their one big communal litter box. For awhile there they were just
ruining her mulch in the front yard. But now they seem to be fouling
the backyard as well because both times Elsinore's been over there
this week, she's come home smelling like a litter box. I've checked
her over, and she hasn't rolled in anything, but after she's had a
meal the odor goes away. So she must be eating the stuff. The woman
who's feeding all these strays--and not spaying or neutering them
because, even with a low-cost clinic available to her, she says she
can't afford it--doesn't vet any of these cats, so there's no telling
what parasites and other yuck are in their yuck. Delightful. Of
course, even if these cats were spayed/neutered, that wouldn't stop
them from using my mother's yard all the time. But there might be
less of them using it.....

I hadn't realized there was a large nerve near one of the veins. I
did know about the sting of alcohol, though, because I got allergy
shots for years. I'll bet there was a combination of the two going on
yesterday--young Charlie feeling stung and having his nerve
accidentally hit. There's no reasoning with him about staying still
and having it all over with much more quickly and painlessly. I asked
the vet if today's blood draw would be a BYOM event (bring your own
muzzle), but she said she thought it could be done without, and it
seems she did okay. I heard one blood-curdling screech from the back
room, and then the vet returned with an upset basset and all her
fingers still on her hands. She said she got a drop of blood out of
him before he wrenched free, but that's all she needed.

Once again Charlie's glucose level is low (it couldn't possibly be
from stress, could it?). It's 70, which the vet said is slightly
below the normal range. But he's not drinking or peeing excessively,
so she's of the mind that slightly below normal may be normal for
him. For the moment now we're in a wait-and-see mode, waiting on the
thyroid test results from Michigan State's vet school lab. The vet
said it could very well be an underactive thyroid that has young
Charlie behaving in a worrisome underactive way. She said that lately
they've been seeing more dogs who are presenting with just one of the
symptoms for underactive thyroid instead of two or more.

I'm hoping that underactive thyroid is what's going on with him.
That's a condition that's easy and inexpensive to manage, and once
the dog gets on the right dosage, all is well again. All is not well
right now. Today I realized that we used to have toys scattered all
over the house. Charlie would pull one toy out after another to bring
to me to try to entice me to play with him ("If she doesn't like this
one, then maybe I'll go get that one and she'll want to play with me
with that one"), which would result in me having to pick up his toys
every evening so we wouldn't trip on one during a midnight bathroom
visit. His toys have stayed in their basket for a full month now.
He's also stopped meeting his daily quota of one naughty act a day. I
don't have to put the puppy gate up in front of the bedroom door
because he's not trying to jump on our bed anymore. The toilet paper
hasn't been shredded in ages. This is just sooooo not young Charlie,
and I can't believe it's because he's suddenly decided to be mature.

Only two more weeks to find out about the thyroid test......

Elizabeth