[Dailydrool] Dog Doors

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 17:13:23 PDT 2010

We built our house last year with some unusual requests.  One, was to have a dog ramp, built off the screen porch, with it's own door.  The ramp runs along the back of the porch, with short railings, designed specifically for short dogs!  There is a screen dog door, installed at the perfect height for bassets.  We figured that the young dogs would need it when they got older.  Then we adopted a senior and it worked perfectly for her from day one.  We also had the builder put in a dog door on the laundry room door, that leads to this porch.  The guy did a great job installing the door.  The only problem is it's just too high off the ground.  Apparently, the integrity of fiberglass doors is "ruined" if the door is too low.  The bottom of the dog door on the inside of the house is about 10" off the ground.  It's even higher outside, when you take into consideration the step down to the porch.   I could only shake my head and ask "did you look at these dogs before you put it there??"    So, now we had to buy a new door - a wood one, and have the builder back to take out the old dog door (not really old, since it's NEVER been used) and install it in a wood door.  Since I hear of so many dog door stories on the drool, I wonder what kind of doors have been used so that the dog door is low enough for a basset (or other vertically challenged dog)?  We have a great dog door, it's the "people" door that's the problem.