[Dailydrool] thundershirts

Maura DeYong mauradeyong at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 13:53:29 PDT 2010

My sweet senior Polly basset is also afraid of thunderstorms (she is my first dog with storm phobia). She shakes and tries to get under my bed. Last week, she got her head under my bed, but got stuck when I was at the store. We got her unstuck and I threw a beach towel over her and she calmed down.
Now, when the thunder starts, usually late afternoon, I grab a beach towel (long so they cover a basset body) and cover her up with that, over her head too, but with her face exposed so she can still breathe. I also try to guide her into my teenage son's room to lay down. He always has the shades drawn so it is cool and dark in there. My other dogs like to sleep on his bed during the day, and I figured out why (cool and dark). So she is covered with her beach towel in a cool dark room with her buddies in the same room. I also cuddle Polly if she is shaking and that stops it for the most part.
I was wondering why the beach towel made a difference and I remembered when I was a kid if there was a thunderstorm at night, I would pull the covers up over my face and hide. I figure it is the same for our dogs. Beach towel, cool dark room, and her other pack members in the room, and some cuddling from me. I know this will not work with all dogs, esp. ones with severe phobia, but I thought I would share what I do with Polly. Hope it helps.
Maura