[Dailydrool] bugs & food stealing

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue Jun 8 14:37:33 PDT 2010

Eye healing drool for Shelby! We hope that you adjust well after your
surgery.

Marlene, I laughed so hard at your post...but I feel your pain with the
bugs! Here in the FL Panhandle the only time the mosquitoes are not out
is during the heat of the day 11-3,(but it is 100+ degrees out with the
heat index, so humans or hounds don't want to be out either) any other
time if you walk out you become a human bug buffet.  The new OFF Clip on
fans work really well.
Here's a thought...Maybe we are being attacked because the bugs want a
little wine with their dinner? LOL

Stealing food.  So far, (knock on wood) the boys have not gotten into
counter cruising. (at least not counter tops) Colt will cruise the
bottom of the cabinets and then the middle of the kitchen floor for any
dropped food. Both hounds will lay in the middle of the kitchen floor
while I am cooking in the hopes that momma will toss down a veggie that
I am cutting up. But since I have had them from buppies, and had
previous basset counter cruisers. I have tried to train them not to do
it. Comanche ATB was an expert...he would wait patiently until no one
was around to steal.  His prizes include a container of bacon grease,
and a pecan pie, how in the doG did he not get sick??? Anyhooo, to
discourage the boys from counter top cruising, when I catch them with
paws on cabinets I would give them a low growling noooo. If that didn't
work it was a light 1-2 finger tap on the nose, when they get down I
tell them "good boy"  So far it has worked.  I do the same when I eat
food on the couch, if they jump up and put a nose near my food then I
will give them a low growling "noooo" If they persist then it is hand in
between food & their noses growling "mine" Then if they still persist it
is the 1-2 finger nose tap. Once they lay down and show no interest in
the food then I pat them and tell them "good boy"   So far this has
worked. Also to keep them out of trouble they are sent to their room
when I am not able to keep a close eyeball on them or we have company
(these one is to keep the company from sneaking them food off their
plates and teaching them bad habits) However there has been a time or 2
that I have gotten up to go to the bathroom, leaving a glass of wine on
the end table and when I come back Colt has front paws on the armrest of
the couch and, snooter in my wine glass lapping away.  The look on his
face is priceless when I came around the corner and catch him "darn it,
I wasn't finished!!!"  And yes I drink the remaining wine myself!  LOL
Throwing the wine out is alcohol abuse, and letting him finish is hound
abuse. So what choice do I have?  LOL.

Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt "I like wine too"
Ruger "mother do we have any Bandy?"
Colt:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1134867
Ruger:    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1134878