[Dailydrool] Pee Hound Henry

Maura DeYong mauradeyong at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 18:21:11 PDT 2010

Maureen,
I am assuming Henry is an "only dog" at your house. My first dog, a beagle, was a puppy when we brought her home and it took a long time for her to get the potty training down to where she had no accidents. It took months and months and months. I even had my son take her out at night and pee along with her in the yard (we lived out in the country so no one was around.)  :)   I always used the words "pee pee" when we went out, so she learned what I was talking about and what those words meant. And I always said "good girl" over and over so she knew she was doing the right thing, right at the moment she started to pee.

My second puppy, a coonhound, picked up on the potty training pretty quickly but it was because she had the beagle to follow. She did what the beagle did when they went outside and she was trained quickly. Having an adult dog to help train the puppy helps, but I don't think that is the case in your situation.

Do you reward him with a treat when he pees outside? I would give him something he really likes, and he ONLY gets that treat when he pees outside. When he pees inside, unless you catch him in the act, don't bother to scold him. If you do catch him in the act, then take him outside immediately and say "pee pee".  I think the words do help, otherwise, he may think he's just outside to sniff and look around.
Hope this helps!
Maura