[Dailydrool] Bassets

Dan Hickey d_hickey at ca.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 00:31:50 PDT 2010

Maureen,

I understand your frustration. That is the biggest hurdle in Basset
training. Last Thursday my boy Diamond and I were working on the dumbbell
recall. I put it in his mouth. Told him to stay. Walked 50 feet away. Turned
around and watched him spit the dumbbell out on the ground before I could
call him to me. He waited till I was in position. This happened 12 times
till he decided I was not going to give up and he finally completed the
exercise. It took all my self control to keep a blank expression, walk back
and set it up again and again and again. Dumb, no way, it was played for
maximum frustration. Diamond can be very stubborn, so can I, ask my wife.

25 years ago I trained my first Basset to use a doggy door. Since then each
new Basset in the house learns within a week from the pack. I NEVER have
accidents and my dogs have ranged from 12 weeks to 5 years on arrival. I
HIGHLY recommend a dog activated door (flapper) where the weather and
neighborhood critters allow safe use.

Dan Hickey
Tamad, Sepag, Ganda and Dumbo ATB
Mutya, Diamond, Ruby and Emerald very much with us