[Dailydrool] Tufts

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:45:51 PDT 2010

When I first read the Tufts question, my first thoughts were of the malamute
(Sitka) I grew up with, and then I had to laugh when Beverly mentioned them
as being super tuft-type shedders.  When Sitka shed it was like picking
cotton!  You could fill a good size laundry basket with fur that you just
plucked out of his coat.  He used to remind me of a shedding buffalo (see
link to picture, this is not an exaggeration!) , with areas that were solid
tufts and areas that had been freed of the tufts and were darker and
recessed from the areas that had yet to be "plucked".

http://image36.webshots.com/36/3/53/93/310435393CQnLZU_fs.jpg

We had a pair of blue jays that nested in our yard each spring, and not only
would he let them steal kibble out of his food bowl (While he was laying 3
feet away!), but he would allow them to land on him and make off with a
mouth full of "tufts" when they were building their nests.  I swear they had
the softest nests in the neighborhood!

Elphaba doesn't shed much, but Copper sheds about an entire basset hound
worth of fur per week!  It doesn't come off in tufts though, it just falls
off loosely.  He's one of the longest-haired bassets I've ever seen though,
with fur so long in places that it curls!  Either he's got some of the
French long-haired basset in him, or he's got a smidgen of some other long
haired breed.

Brenda- Momslave to Copper and Elphaba