[Dailydrool] Tails and tufts and Shelbs

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 09:59:07 PDT 2010

Three of my girls, Ninja, Maggie and Marley have wiper tails.  Maggie is a drummer, though.  She bangs that tail on boxes, door frames and anything else that will make loads of noise.  She must have no feeling in her tail because she really whacks things with it.  She must have been listening to Nic who is a drummer.  He bangs on anything and everything including the animals.  None of them protest.  Shelby's tail doesn't go all the way up and she just sort of wiggles the end.

None of these girls have tufts.  Marley, Maggie and Shelby have enough hair to make several other bassets when brushed or furminated.  Ninja has very thin hair, can see skin through most of it.  She is mostly white and does not shed much.  When we had Sunny, we had tufts.  She looked like a sausage with hair glued on in bunches.  She hated being touched or brushed much so she looked pretty bad most of the time.  We tried to adopt a corgi mix for Nic and brought her along to see how they would be together.  I'm sure that the lady with the corgi thought we were awful dog owners and wouldn't let us have the corgie.  Sunny was very arthritic by then and walked very stiffly.  She was rather old.  Anyway, she took her corgi back with her.  Was unpleasant too.  It looked more like a fox than a corgi.  Why would we want a corgi?  Nic would like one and we were trying to motivate him to do other things.  We left it alone after that.  Wonder what a corgi would do with a small herd of bassets and two cats?

Shelby is doing ok.  She mostly sits and cries if no person is right there.  It is sad to watch.  I hope she perks up soon.  She has such an attitude and I would hate it if that is now gone.  Out side she will stand in one place and not sniff around.  I guess she is scared.  Her ears are more cleaned out than they were but she still doesn't seem to hear well.  She is still asleep with the teenage sloth.  She is on his bed right next to him.  I am so glad he takes care of her.  He is good with all of them but she needs extra help and he is there to give it .  We have been putting her on the couch next to me when she cries and giving her a bowl of ice cubes which she seems to really like.

I will chime in on the potty training thing although I know it has been hashed to death.  My first two girls who were puppies when we got them were never quite potty trained.  Almost.  Sherlock was the same way.  These girls all are but occasionally there will be an accident.  We have a carpet shampooer.  We also have old carpet that I will replace one of these days.  Some things are part of having a pet.  Frustrating but part of it none the less.

We are sending drool to anyone who needs it.

Julie with Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby and loving hairballs from the boys