[Dailydrool] Fw: RE: cooling down an over-heated dog

RAY WERTZ johannamrstreez at verizon.net
Sun Jun 13 16:05:44 PDT 2010

from : WERTZ <johannamrstreez at verizon.net>
Subject: RE: cooling down an over-heated dog
To: dailydrool-request at dailydrool.org
Date: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 6:52 PM

My bass-a-door Lucy overheats very easily & when she gets too hot she gets seizures...
This was my vets advice;..

Never to take her out when its over 83 degrees out (Lucy has a black coat & makes her more apt to get over-heated)

Keep a digital thermometer readily available & if her body temp is over 105 get her immediately to the er vet

also, to place a cool wet towel over her...

I live in Northern Virginia & it has been very hot this week
But whenI walk Lucy I bring a spray bottle of cool water & periodically spray her down
Also, you can purchase a water bottle with an attachment to poor the watewr into (for a dog to drink)..its like a little trough

We had one scarey episode when Lucy went outside (we have a doggie door)
It was very hot & we found her under a tree unable to walk...or to get up
We had to carry her into the house...now we watch her very carefully when its hot outside
check on her frequently & only let her stay out for a short period, then its into the house & close the doogie door and have lots of fresh cool water available...

Just what works for us, in calling off a over-heated houndie,
JohannaMama
Drool to all in need