[Dailydrool] Drool, Dog Doors, and Elder Clara

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Sun Jun 13 16:29:47 PDT 2010

Momma here, playing catch up, as hopefully things here at the home will settle down.
First and formost we send drool to all in need, condolences to any I might of missed. Things have been way nuts around herefor the past month. Elder Clara has given me such a scare, I could not write about it, that made it even more real than it was-in fact, I didn't talk about it much, I was overwhelmed. Elder Clara, a month ago while I was in Michigan and she was being well cared for by Hubby started the old age wobble, back leg just didn't do the deal anymore, was it really old age--yes she is 15 now, was it a body slam by the racing youngsters? One will never know. But back leg number 2 followed back leg number one, and sure enough, Elder Clara was in sad shape. Dragging the rear-she would hobble a few steps, fall and pee herself. My world was reeling, here she was of full mind, but those legs--we made her rest, I doubled up on the Sod Boswellia, Doc had her on Tramadol, More Joint Maxx--more time with me. She didn't seem to be in any pain, but we all know a basset--I was not sure. Doc said lets give her some time, rest, see what we have, the look on her face said she was mad, and she never missed a chance to show those emotions to the Brudders. I seen some improvement, but called Doc and said please, there has to be something else, Doc said lets get her on the Adequan shots.Two a week for a month, and see what we have. I read all I could about this, and it seems it either works and works pretty good or not at all. She got her second shot yesterday. I have to say Clara is much better-she is up on all 4 paws-and she even bolted off the perch and trotted across the room for treets. More tail action, less wobble, she is even standing up to eat. If this is as good as it gets, I am thrilled. So is Clara--
The rest of the gang have watched closely for the past month-Elwood has been very good around her, Sister Daisy is never far and Clara follows her these days. The interesting one is Brudder Jake. He has worried himself to no end. One night Clara went out, she stumbled and Jake went nuts, He cried moaned barked and would not leave her side. Hubby was right next to her, but Jake would not stop until I went to Clara and told Jake I would take care of it, told him she was okay.  Jake stops now and sniffs her, almost like a stamp of approval and motors on. I think he has decided it is his job to watch over her. Perhaps being the bellhound is not his only duty! The dog door was a problem, but we made sure we were there to open the door and help her in and out all she needed. The new ramp Hubby made her has been great. Tonight I ran to the door to open it and I got the Elder Clara glare-and out the dog door she went. Slow and not a pretty exit, but she wanted to do it herself. That she did. We are not asking for drool, we have things under control-and so many others need it---and maybe even my head has stopped reeling from all this. I know at her age I am on blessed borrowed time, and Clara will tell me when the ride is over, but it is not now. She has work to do, naps to take and food to snarf.
So that is the long and short of PW Elder Clara right now--and where I have been hiding, not writing much.
I will let you all know how these shots are doing for her, as it may help another houndie out there.
We are thinking of you all--

Drool to all in need-

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,