[Dailydrool] Fluid Filled Cysts - What Do You All Do About Them?

John Weese im4bmw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 16:44:49 PDT 2010

Greetings,

I haven't posted for a long time.  Tomorrow we take our sweet "Bailey" girl
(8 yr old Red n White) for her annual check-up.  I know the Vet will want to
put her under the knife again to remove several large & unsightly fluid
filled cysts.  Bailey has had a problem with cysts from about the age of 4
or 5 on.  Each year for the past two years (this will be the 3rd time) we
have had her undergo surgery to remove several cysts.  She has been under
before for other things also (e.g. cherry eye).  Having had 4 or 5
surgeries, I absolutely hate the thought of her undergoing more surgeries
for these dumb cysts!

They really don't bother her, unless one bursts (which does happen on
occasion).  She has had a tough time coming out of the anesthesia several
times...I think because she is a large dog the Vet tends to give her too
much!

Anyway, does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have any
suggestions?  I'd prefer the Vet give her a local and remove or drain the
cysts rather than put her under, but what do I know?

My sister thinks we should not do anything unless they become a problem for
her.

Any advice or sharing of experiences appreciated!

John & Judy Weese
Lancaster County, PA
"Bailey"