[Dailydrool] tufts and heat and basset whites...

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 13 18:39:41 PDT 2010

A couple of the recent threads have made me smile- remembering Ms.Brandy. She had a mane like a lion when she was shedding. And an undercoat that would make a Polar bear look under-dressed! I'd use the shedding blade on her while she laid on the lawn- she really enjoyed it. I'd flip her over to get the other side and when she finally got up it would look like a crime scene marker- an outline of fur in the shape of her body. In the summer we did this every day. The birds in our neighborhood had the finest nests! As well as some mousies as we found out after discovering their home in our shed.

As for the stories of keeping your basset cool in the heat- never feed ice cubes to an overheated hound- I don't recall exactly why- but it is not a good thing to do. I always carry water and a bowl in my car. Yes I grab a cold bottle when we leave- but there are two bottles that 'live' in the van. If I forget to take some- warm water is better than none. Love the idea of the note cards Bev- am going to have to print myself some of those. (BTW postcard template paper might work for your printer)

The following is a post from a couple of years ago- thought you might enjoy it if you're new to the drool and will indulge me if you've seen it before: ( now 15 years ago...where do the years go?)

A post I read earlier today made me remember this story that happened when Ms.Brandy was just about 4 months old- over 13 years ago. It makes me smile to remember it as I am reminded of her as just a little girl who was still tripping over her ears then and REFUSING to walk more than 20 feet- we carried her a lot back then LOL.
I had gone on a trip to Germany to visit family. I was coming back home and John came to the airport to pick me up. He brought Ms.Brandy along- but of course she had to stay in the car. This was in July- so it was warm outside. He parked in the 15 minute zone ( strictly enforced with metered tickets to show when you parked there). He came inside to get me and we returned to the car- remember he had only 15 minutes of parking time! We return to the car- to find an airport security cop holding Ms.Brandy... He had heard her cries he said- and upon looking into the halfway opened windows of the car he noticed how DEHYDRATED she was. So he jimmied the door open to rescue her! Obviously during this "emergency" he failed to notice that she had a dish of water readily available, the fact that we were no yet in violation of the 15min parking space and that he could have simply reached into the window and unlocked the doors. To prove his point of dehydration- he held up the skin on her back and said " look- this is how you can tell this puppy is dehydrated- she has no moisture in her skin at all..." We explained that she is a basset hound and is supposed to look like that. Thankfully another security guard arrived and backed us up. We had proof of how long the car had been there, thanks to the metered ticket and left without further ado. Many times over the years we have thought of this story and how we laughed about our "dehydrated puppy 'cause it had all that loose skin"!

On another note- someone talking about washing a bassets' "white's" had me remembering TBO's Blue Basset story- does anyone have it in their file to re-post?

droolies, Angelika