[Dailydrool] Fluid Filled Cysts - What Do You All Do About

Trish S tlsclm2008 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 22:11:37 PDT 2010

Hi John/Judy,

Yesterday, I was at the vet having my Harrison's ears and um, other sensitive parts cleaned out. While waiting for him, I struck up a conversation with a man and his precious Bull Dog named Bug. Sadly, Bug had a horrible infection on his ear and was bleeding badly. I also noticed blood between his paws and inquired. The man told me it was a cyst and that he gets them frequently.

I was interested in knowing more about them after having my first run-in with one recently (I'll share my tale [or would it be tail] below). The gentlemen told me he can't afford the $300-400 to have them removed, which I can relate to, so the vet offered another solution: soaking the area in warm water and Epsom salt to draw the cyst out. The vet also said to give Bug, who weighs 60 pounds a one time dose of 6 baby aspirin (1 aspirin for every 10 pounds) to help ease any pain each time he has one. He said he checked with a Pharmacist about the baby aspirin and they also agreed. The guy said it worked, he just needed to do it again for the one on Bug's paw.

I hope that is of some help. :-)

I'm a new mom and still very much in the learning process. This new mom mistook a black speck on her baby's neck for a tick and tried to pull it out with tweezers. In my defense, we'd been out waking that day in a wooded area and it did look awfully similar.  Well, when it burst and started bleeding, I then realized it was a cyst. Oh, I felt horrible and started crying for making my poor boy bleed! Bad mom. I cleansed the area, put a little Neosporin on it to keep from it becoming infected (I only did this because it's an area he can't reach to lick) and donned him with a handsome red neck scarf to protect the cyst from bleeding again every time his collar rubbed up against it... Thankfully he's just fine and it healed (and I've just about recovered). I've noticed the black spot is back again, but so far it hasn't grown nor have I mistook it for another tick.

Thanks for reading and BEST of luck to sweet Bailey,

Tricia
Forever Mom to Harrison-Buttercup, 3 yr old red/white love of my live
http://www.bassetrescue.org/HappyEnding3.html