[Dailydrool] Separation anxiety

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 09:40:40 PDT 2010

I am looking for a bit of advice please and apologies, as I know this topic has been covered lots of times in the past.  I was contacted yesterday in my capacity of a contact for Basset Hound Welfare about  a 5 year old basset called Harry.  The owners have had him a year after answering an ad on the internet looking for a new home for him.  He is a very good natured boy and the 3 children particularly love him and crawl over him which  he doesn’t mind.  He has about 2-3 walks a day. The problem is when he is left.  He is never left for more than 2 hours but the minute he is left he starts crying and barking, and then they always come back to a wee or a poo.  Sometimes he will do it right in front of them as well and not go out in the garden.  I am wondering if he is just having a time settling and maybe it’s a little difficult with the 3 children too, even if he does love them, and perhaps he is a being a bit attention seeking.  He
 loves cuddles like all bassets do, and even when he has cuddles for about half an hour will keep nudging his owners for more. LOL.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB