[Dailydrool] Anxiety wraps

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 10:11:07 PDT 2010

I've now seen two posts in which people have reviewed the anxiety
wrap as making a noticeable difference but not being completely
effective. It's made me think about Pavlovian responses and a couple
root canals I had two summers ago.

The root canals started out with my dentist drilling out two old
fillings so she could put temporary crowns on the teeth and send me
to an endodontist for the root canal work. The drilling was
incredibly painful, and after my fourth injection of novocaine, she
didn't want to give me any more. But I couldn't stop jerking away
every time she touched those teeth, which made it hard for her to
continue. So she decided not to finish the job and sent me to the
endodontist the next day as an emergency root canal.

I was anxious all the night before about those root canals. If it
hurt that much to have the fillings dug out even with all that
novocaine, how much more would it hurt to have the root dug out? I
slunk into the endodontist's with my tail between my legs and my ears
pinned way back. It took almost three people to drag me from the
waiting room into the back room where terrible things happen to good
people with bad teeth.

The endodontist gave me one numbing injection and a ton of nitrous
oxide gas, but I was still rigid in the chair, bracing for the pain.
He gave me some good pokes in the gums to prove to me that the area
really was well deadened. Then he got to work on the teeth. He was
right. I was so numb I couldn't feel a thing (so why can't my dentist
have novocaine that strong?). It was as if he was working on someone
else's teeth altogether. Yet, every time he started up on that drill,
I tensed and braced for pain. I spent the entire procedure reassuring
myself that even though I was hearing the drill, I wasn't feeling a
thing, really. Relax, relax. Drill sounds but no pain, right? Right.
Breathe the lovely nitrous oxide.

That's when I realized that I've had enough painful dental work done
over the last ten or so years that I've been conditioned to equate
the sound of a dental drill with extreme pain. I hear that drill,
and, just like Pavlov's dog drools in anticipation of food when he
hears a bell, my body automatically braces for pain even when it
feels none at all. I wonder how long it would take for me to be
reconditioned to the point of not tensing up when I hear a dental
drill. Not that I have any desire to try it!

So my experience with dental work, pain, and really good novocaine
has made me think of dogs who've spent years associating thunder and
storms with really bad feelings and are now in an anxiety wrap, the
equivalent of being given powerful novocaine. Perhaps the reason
their anxiety during storms hasn't been completely reduced is that
they're still conditioned to think of storms as bad even when they're
actually feeling calmer because of the anxiety wraps they're wearing.
It'll be very interesting to hear how they seem to do during storms
six months or a year from now, whether wearing the wraps will
eventually recondition their response to storms.

I wish anxiety wraps had been an option (or had been an option I knew
about) when our Jane Basset was still alive. She would come
completely unglued during a storm. She'd shake, pant, pace, drool,
and either cling to my ankles or search the house for a safe hiding
spot, usually behind a toilet, under a bathroom sink with a ten-inch
clearance, or behind my printer in my computer cabinet. We called it
The Vapors, as in, "It's thundering, so Jane's got the vapors again."
She was so sensitive that she could pick up on storms in the next
county and react to those as well. Nothing we did or didn't do made
any difference. She was perfectly miserable during storms. I miss her
every day, but I never wish her back when we're having storms because
she hated them so much. It's wonderful to have bassets now who don't
bat an eye during a thunderstorm!

Elizabeth