[Dailydrool] Your voting is adding up!

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 02:44:37 PDT 2010

Good morning Droolers,

Thanks again for your voting in the Shelter Challenge - this morning we have broken 500 and are at 499 up from 702 yesterday - Yea!

Yesterday I told you about Sammy, who is one of the younger bassets we have for adoption.  Today let me tell you about Lola, the oldest basset we have for adoption.  How old?  I have no idea but she is ANCIENT.  She embodies all that I love about the seniors...she is very low energy, knows what she wants and how to get it and she takes no grief from the youngsters.  Lola came from from a more rural shelter in northern Florida.  The shelter workers didn't even think she would live - she was so sick with kennel cough and just skin and bones - her nails were so long they were curved into the pads of her paws and she smelled so bad from her skin.  When she first got to basset headquarters she wouldn't eat anything which is normal for one that is starving - their hunger switch has just turned off.  I tried lots of things to "prime the pump" and finally discovered she would eat a bite of ground turkey if I hand fed her.  So that is where we started - one bite
 here, one bite there.  Gradually she increased her eating but it took a long, long time for her to eat out of a bowl.  Meal times used to take 30 minutes to hand feed her.  Thankfully she now loves to eat.  Lola is at a good weight for her, her once thin coat and nasty skin is back to normal and beautiful and she feels good enough to sing opera for us a couple times a day.  Her favorite thing to do is to curl up and sleep, waking up just enough to mosey outside a couple times a day to do her business and to eat of course.  She really needs some teeth work but at her age she probably wouldn't do well under anesthesia so she gets a 10 day course of antibiotics once a month to eliminate the gum infections she is prone to and she gets twice daily eye medication for dry eye.  I truly hope some special angel will come along who wants to give her a forever home even though it may be brief - if not, she can always sing here at basset headquarters.

Thanks again for voting for Basset Rescue of Florida.  Please spread the word and hopefully tomorrow we will be in the 200s.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces

Pam Farris  Basset Rescue  Florida, Inc.  www.BassetRescueFlorida.com