[Dailydrool] Dogs understanding dog language vs. people understanding dog language

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 18:22:08 PDT 2010

I have two bassets--Bo and Harley. Bo grumbles a lot; Harley is very quiet. When Bo grumbles, usually it means (in my reading) "Gee, I'd sure like something more to eat--I'm hungry". Sometimes when I ignore Bo's grumbling, he stops and goes back to napping--"Oh well, I tried". Interestingly, Harley has taken up the role of arbitor for Bo. If Bo starts grumbling shortly before mealtime, Harley jumps into my lap and starts smothering my ears with kisses to get the message across more clearly. Bo also starts the alert for the last walk of the day and Harley follows up with the punchline actions. Usually after bedtime, both Harley and I ignore Bo's grumbling. ("Gee, wouldn't a snack hit the spot just now?" "No, Bo, sorry--you're on a diet and breakfast isn't until morning".) Last night Bo began grumbling, and, uncharacteristically, Harley jumped on top of me and started kissing my ears to oblivion--"Bo needs you--Bo needs you". So, grumbling myself, I got
 out of bed and followed Bo to the doggie door (and accompanied him outside--ever since he got hosed by my landlady's nighttime automatic sprinklers, he won't go out after dark unaccompanied). Sure enough, a bathroom emergency. Harley seems to be able to tell the difference in Bo's various types of grumbling. I haven't learned the skill yet. This is Harley's version of "Come quickly--Timmy's in the well, Lassie". I love these dogs. Val, Bo (time for a snack yet?), and Harley (how come I can understand him and you can't, Mom?)