[Dailydrool] ARE BASSET SLAVES MORE TOLERANT THAN OTHER DOG OWNERS?

Riette riette at mvtc.co.za
Mon Jun 21 23:23:52 PDT 2010

Hi all

My name is Riëtte. I am the slave to a 7 month old Basset named Sebastiaan. We live in sunny South Africa and Sebastiaan is our only child.

After talking with 2 of my closest friends, who are both staffordshire owners (I personally don't like staffordshires), I started thinking if Basset slaves are more tolerant / lenient wrt their dogs antics / ways. Sebastiaan is allowed on our bed, on our sofas, he drives in the car with us, etc etc. He gets kisses and cuddles all the time. The only time he barks is if he wants to play, so I don't quiet him when he does this as this is his way of initiating play. My friends then told me that, as with children, a dog should be seen and not heard. I do not share their sentiment. I would do anything to ensure that my pup is a happy pup and if it makes him happy to do something I will allow him to do it (obviously unless it is totally unacceptable!).

I am quite new to the Daily Drool and Sebastiaan is our first Basset. I now realise that Basset slaves are special people and find myself seeking the company of other Basset owners. It is so true: There is no bigger priviledge than being owned by a Basset Hound.

PS: Are there any Droolers in the Garden Route area?

Regards

Riëtte