[Dailydrool] GGBR Voting....

Adelaide Dawes addydawes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:53:16 PDT 2010

Fantastic!!  Can you believe we're up to #51 in the rankings this morning?
 I think that's really good news...

I can't believe what a great job you're all doing!

Did I already tell you about the FOUR litters we've had since February?
 First was a mom and dad stray pair.  Shelter called us... she's about to
pop these pups, any chance you can take her?  We did, of course... we have a
fantastic foster home that loves to whelp pups and was very eager to get her
safe.  We pulled both dogs, sent them in different directions and momma was
dropped off to wait for her foster home to collect her.  Well, she wasn't
going to wait.  As soon as she felt safe (20 minutes after arriving at her
'safe house') she started giving birth - 8 pups, one lost at birth.
 Purebred bassets and beautiful to boot!  7 pups to rear, spay/neuter,
vaccinate and place in good homes.  Mission accomplished.

In the meantime, a shelter took in a momma with a litter of 9 newborn
pups... apparently born in the person's yard and discovered at about 2 days
old.  Another foster home stepped up to take these.  They're mixes, and the
jury is still out on what they're mixed with, but they are darned CUTE!!

Then we got a call from a shelter volunteer... someone wanted to surrender
their pair of bassets... female could be pregnant.  Unfortunately it took a
few weeks to get the contact info for the person who wanted to surrender
them and when we called her the female had already given birth.  8 pups, but
only 4 of them still alive... they think momma must lie on them (duh!!).
 When asked, how old - " I think it was a Friday about two weeks ago".  When
asked what sex - "I don't know, my husband goes out to look at them" (yard
dogs.... grrrrr).  Can we come right NOW?  By the time we got there, we were
down to 3 pups.  We took the mom and dad basset and the three pups and the
parting words from the owner was that they weren't sure who had fathered the
pups as they also have an intact boxer in the yard!  Poor mom, 2 intact
males to guard her litter from (and she showed us that she did NOT want the
male basset anywhere near them).  No wonder she was down to 3 pups.  And she
is GORGEOUS as well.  Pups do look like mixes and they're now around 4 wks
old!

Last litter was another owner surrender of the mom and dad.  This time the
dogs were in Southern California, and Daphneyland were facing taking in
another litter... they already have one mixed litter of basset/springer
spaniels!  Over here in California, all the active rescues are part of a
network called the West Coast BROAD (Basset Rescue Organizations Allied
Division - it was the best I could come up with!!).  We're able to work
together to make sure that no basset gets left behind or forgotten in a
shelter as we've made sure that every shelter in the state is the prime
responsibility of just one rescue organization,  who takes the lead on
either taking the dog or asking the BROADs if they can take it.  Anyway, as
a sister rescue of BaRNI at Daphneyland, and having a foster home that had
missed out on whelping the first litter, we said we'd take her.  The dad was
a transport failure... and the momma came up to the Bay Area.  Once again
fate stepped in and momma had to go to a different foster home, where she
pretended to go into labor for a full two weeks (so we didn't move her
again) and eventually gave birth to NINE more purebred basset pups last
Thursday.  Phew!!

Anyone who has rescued or bred litters, knows how expensive pups can be.
 Another very good reason for helping us out by VOTING!!!

Thanks for your support!

Addy

(Oh, and there's a Firstgiving page for GOLDEN EMPIRE BASSET RESCUE who are
going through an emergency situation due to Jill Peterson's hospitalization.
 Another example of the BROAD network working together... donations welcome
at http://www.firstgiving.com/gebr-jillmedicalemergency).  Any donations
will go straight to GEBR.
<http://www.firstgiving.com/gebr-jillmedicalemergency>

--