[Dailydrool] Meds for aggressiveness

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Jun 25 06:38:20 PDT 2010

The first thing I would do is have a thorough check by the vet. Have
Dottie's thyroid checked. A low thyroid level can be connected with
aggressiveness, and the good news is that this is easy to treat with an
inexpensive medication. I would also have a test for Lyme disease, which can
also cause aggression. Your vet can tell you if you need to check out
anything else.

Before you put Dottie on any medication for aggressiveness, make certain
that she is not in pain from anything else. Pain can make dogs
unpredictable.

Our Abner, who has a low thyroid, is on hypothyroid medication and Prozac.
That combination helped him a lot. Sure, he still chases the cat
occasionally, but so do all the dogs when the cat gets in their face.
Generally he's calmer around the other dogs and MUCH better with me. But the
thing that helped him most was putting him on glucosamine and chondroitin,
for the arthritis pain in his back.

Another thing I have found very helpful is to be able to read a dog's signs
of aggression. If you watch Cesar Milan, you've probably seen this. When a
dog gets extremely quiet but is staring intently at another dog, it's time
to intervene by distracting that dog. If you don't, you will be facing
trouble in a second.

Not using medication that could help may put your dog at risk. If everything
else checks out, I would ask the vet about the risks, and maybe try the
Prozac for a while. If the risk for dog aggression is low, it's probably
worth trying. After all, if Dottie bites someone else's dog, you could have
a much harder time of it. Alternatively, your vet may be able to prescribe
another medication that does not have that risk.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets