[Dailydrool] Bathing Bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 10:00:03 PDT 2010

Mine don't object very strenuously. I have bathed them since they were dinky
things, too little to fight back effectively. This last time I bathed Conley
outside, stringing an attachment from the kitchen faucet out the window to
the grooming table in the backyard. Unfortunately all I got was hot water
and hotter and hotter and eventually had to have John just turn off the hot
because I couldn't get John to stand there and dick around with the water
until it was perfect.
This turned out to be a really good choice because I had Conley noosed there
on the table and I didn't have to bend over PLUS, I could be sure to get the
shampoo out of armpits and groins without standing on my head. Leaning over
the tub just plain kills my back. I managed to do both Conley and Nigel
before I pooped out.
HOWEVER
Do not ever mow your lawn, bathe your dog who has white markings and then
let him loose in the backyard. HE WILL BE GREEN. And especially green if the
reason you bathed him was because he has a show the next day.
I should have known this as the first dog kennel I ever worked in was in
Michigan and the groomer bathed and groomed two West Highland White Terriers
for show (which means hand stripping) and then set them loose in the yard
where they rolled and rolled and rolled and came in green. REALLY green.
I just used waterless shampoo on Conley and the green came off, but this
poor woman had even used bluing in the rinse water to make the dogs whiter,
and had to do it all over.
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper, who goes to the kennel to be
groomed properly.