[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 116, Issue 10

Kim Dworak kdworak69 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 09:59:25 PDT 2010

Marlene, I use this for Gunter and Wulfie (and myself) and it works pretty good for us, I can't remember what website I got it from - I just copied the recipe and emailed it to myself so I'd have it.

Topic

Mosquito Repellents

DEET products are too toxic and should never be used, epecially
 around children and more especially on their skin. What is effective,
non-toxic and recommended is explained below.

Vanilla home remedy for personal use:
8 oz water
2 tsp vanilla
 extract
1 tsp. orange oil
Spray on liberally.

Some have also recommended Watkins Vanilla
hand/body lotion, which is available at Walmart.

Federal
officials are recommending two new options other than the chemical DEET
to combat mosquitoes:

Picaridin: More
pleasant to the skin and doesn't have the odor that DEET repellents
have.
(It's a chemical so still not on my recommended list).

Oil
 of lemon eucalyptus: A natural ingredient for those who don't
like the thought of putting chemicals on their skin.

I have also heard of people using the regular scented skin so soft oil for their dogs, I have a friend that does it - full strength, just like you said below - she has 4 greyhounds and it works well for her.  I've tried it on myself but they must really like me because it doesn't work for me.  I've also heard that amber colored listerine works too.  I hope this works and good for you for telling your neighbor off.  I am lucky that thunder and fireworks don't bother my boys.  Oh - I got some organic bug control stuff to spray on my lawn at the farmers market Saturday, it's all natural.  If it works I'll let you know, I think they have a website - or I could buy it and send it to you.

Thanks
Kim with Gunter and Wulfgang
Message: 16