[Dailydrool] Shooting Dogs

Brenda Weddle bweddlern at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:18:41 PDT 2010

WARNING! If you have a weak stomach, please do not read this. There is a happy ending, however.

The houndettes and the rest of the Thundering Herd have a new brother they will meet when he gets out of the vetspital. My husband and I came home from town this past Saturday and lying on the porch was our orange (neurtered) tomcat that had been missing for 2 weeks. Apparently he brought home a new friend. I went into the garage to get something out of the truck and saw a medium sized black and tan mixed breed dog lying on an old dog bed in the garage. On closer investigation, we saw his right ear was in shreds, his right eye was swollen closed, the right side of his face was swollen, and there was the worst smell I have ever smelled. I approached him very carefully, and he just wagged his tail at me. He would not eat or drink and had maggots all over the back of his neck. For an area about 6 inches in diameter on the right side of his face around his ear, there was no skin - just raw and rotting flesh. This poor dog in such pain and sickness, wagged his tail at us. He even let me pick him up and we put him in the car and called the vet on call to have her meet us at the vetspital. He lay down in the back of the car and slept all the way. Did I mention you can see paractically every bone in his body? He had a fever of 103.5 and the vet immediately gave him an antibiotic injection and one for pain and fever. She then took him and cleaned him up and removed the maggots. They have debrided his ear/face daily since Saturday, and plan to remove his right eye and ear and close up the wound on Wednesday. He is on antibiotics and pain medicine.  We went to visit him today and he rested his head on us and gave us the sweetest kisses and tail wags. They all commented on how sweet and good natured he is. The vet told us today, they found evidence that his wound was caused by a shotgun. If I could have gotten ahold of the person who did this, I think I would have beaten them half to death. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! How can anyone be so cruel?

Anyway, the vet says he will recover and he will live the rest of his life with us as a full fledged family member and member of the Thundering Herd. Please help us welcome Trooper to the pack.

Brenda, Bob & the Thundering Herd of Dog Woods Farm