[Dailydrool] Kirkland Brand Dog Food

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 14:03:58 PDT 2010

First let me say that there will be as many opinions about dog food as there are people reading this and that's the great thing about America, we're each free to believe what we want and to follow our beliefs and on top of that it's wonderful that we have this forum to discuss all things basset related freely and without fear of being jumped upon :-)

Second, I believe we all do the best we know and when we know better, we do better.

Now to the subject at hand, BRF feeds the Kirkland Brand Dog Food, specifically the chicken and have for two years.  If you look at their list of ingredients, you will find good stuff without much of the bad.  I wish it were organic and I wish it were human grade but for $22.59 for 40 pounds, you can't beat the price and if you are a stuggling rescue, the best of the best is far beyond our reach when we're feeding so many.  I think we can all agree it beats the ingredients in the grocery store stuff and many of the ones you buy at the pet stores.

Here are the ingredients: Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, dried chicory root, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, taurine, yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

It is a highly rated dog food through several rating systems.

I have had many bassets that were very itchy when they first came in but after a month of baths, proper nutrition, etc., they were doing great.  I have no doubt that a good dog food was part of that.

Do I think this is the best of the best?  No, like I said I wish it were organic and I wish the ingredients were human grade.  If I could find a food that were all of those things and near in price, I would feed it but I haven't found it yet so until then, the Kirkland brand is what I will feed.

Drool to all in need!

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com