[Dailydrool] Entropion

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Sun Mar 28 14:31:12 PDT 2010

Our Sweet Sarah (ATB) had entropion surgery when she was about 18 months old. That was 13 years ago now, so I don't remember how much it cost. What I do remember is that it was NOT a big deal. We had also waited to see if her face and basset skin would develop in such a way that the problem would go away by itself, but it didn't.

A doggie eye doctor who traveled around Virginia did the surgery at our vet's office. Our vet could have done it, but the eye doctor was going to be there anyway for some other dog's eye problem, and he had done more entropion surgeries.

It's basically a plastic-surgery procedure where they cut a little triangle of skin out, then sew the triangle shut, and that pulls the lid and offending eyelashes away from the eye. Sarah didn't even know anything had happened, she never bothered the stitches, and it solved the problem totally. I would not hesitate to have it done again if I had a basset with entropion.

Nancy, owned by Uncle Frank the Tank, and Tina