[Dailydrool] This & that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:20:10 PDT 2010

I love the video with Frank and Tina, Nancy! It's great seeing Frank being
so happy with his new sister and Tina certainly looks like she's right where
she belongs.

We switched the Houndettes food to Innova a while ago and have had a couple
of benefits from doing so. Their stools are much firmer than they were on
the other food and their fur seems to be in much better shape.
Unfortunately, they haven't stopped shedding but their fur is much softer
than it was before. Jersey still has anal gland issues even with the new
food. We've tried just about everything (raw baby carrots, pumpkin, etc.)
and she still has to have them expressed once a month at the vets.

I'm not sure if we've just been lucky but none of the Houndettes or any of
our foster bassets have had reactions to their shots and I'm going to
continue to have them get them. We visit state parks often and trail walk.
Plus we've had dogs come home to be fostered before we were able to get them
vetted so I'm not willing to take a chance. My tune may change if any of
them have an allergic reaction but, for now, I'd rather take the chance of a
reaction than having one of them get sick and having to live with the
knowledge that I could have avoided it. I do think that I will make sure
that they are given their shots early in the morning so that I can zoom back
to the vets during the day if we need to! Suzy and Jersey both have been
stung by bees and have had allergic reactions so I can only imagine how
scary it was with Evil Annie and Maggie the other day. I know that I was
wishing for lights and sirens on the car both times that we made that race
to the vets! I noticed Ginger chasing down a bee the other day and am hoping
that we don't have that experience again. Believe me, I keep Benedryl on
hand at all times now!

The Houndettes are sending successful surgery drool for Abner and healing
drool to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy, & Ginger