[Dailydrool] Basset Obedience

Kathy Kontrim oahiggins at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:48:47 PST 2010

I have to comment on “basset training.”  Oliver went to obedience school when he was
about 5 months old.  Laura’s post made me
laugh because our experience was very similar.
I was younger then.  I thought I could
out-last Oliver; crack that thick head.
Oh, the ignorance of youth.  Our
time in obedience school was a constant battle of wills.  On the day of our final exam, I finally lost
the war.  We practiced and
practiced.  He did so well in our
dry-runs.  However, when it came time for
the class “final”, Oliver acted as if every command from me was merely a
suggestion, which was easily ignored.  It
was a disaster!  The worst part was
during the class sit-stay.  All dogs had
to sit until commanded to come.  Easy
enough, right!  Oliver got up, put his
nose to the ground and wandered all over the room, weaving in and out of the
other dogs, patiently awaiting a word from their masters.  It was awful!
I was so mad.  Despite blowing his
final (most impressively) Oliver was allowed to “walk” through graduation with
his class and received a diploma.
Needless to say he was not invited into any graduate programs.  (So ended Oliver’s formal education.)  It is funny now—10 years later.  Little has changed, except for my
expectations.  I am hardheaded but I am
no match for the granite mullet inside the folds of smooshy skin.  Good thing he is so lovable…

Kathy and Oliver A. Higgins

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/380337