[Dailydrool] Prescription meds

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 09:04:11 PST 2010

Not stepping on toes just making some corrections/ mentions:

1. Clavamox is Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid which potentiates the antibiotic to cover a wider range of bacteria since we don't routinely run cultures on everything that walks in the door.

2. I don't have any experience with patients on Novox.

3. I have had patients get meloxicam (Brand Metacam) from the pharmacy.

4. Metronidazole is not an antifungal.  It is only an antibiotic, amebicide, and antiprotozoal.  The brand name known by many human medical professionals is Flagyl.  I heart this stuff for diarrhea.

5. Caution with compounded heartworm preventative you are ONLY getting a heartworm preventative and NOT a monthly dewormer.  If you are going the route of monthly ivermectin have your beasties dewormed at least four times a year depending on the parasite load in your area.

These are great ways to save money but if your vet recommends a brand name of something because it is tested and proven to work then you might just have to go with that.  For example the Iverhart that was recalled because there wasn't enough ivermectin in it to kill microfilaria. Anytime I get a request for a script for this I deny it because it is not in the best interest for the pet.  I would rather back a drug company that will back its meds and pay for treatment if there is a problem.

Stay safe out there!

Laura
Flash
and Ryu