[Dailydrool] Bored w/Obedience

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:33:53 PST 2010

Years ago, I showed Turbo, our first basset, in obedience. As I would watch the golden retrievers and dogs like that execute their perfect moves, I could not help think that they looked like mindless slaves. It saddened me. Then Turbo would get in the ring, to laughter from the audience. She did all the moves, but in her own sweet time and way.

We had received qualifying scores in two legs toward her CD, and were in the ring for her third leg. Right in the middle of the off-leash heal, she plunked her butt down, and refused to move. She was done. She was bored. She refused to have anything to do with obedience showing again.

These dogs ain't dumb. They just hate repetition. They get bored.

Linda and Dewey