[Dailydrool] AVMA, Scripts and Vets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:06:42 PST 2010

The AVMA might suggest to a Veterinarian that he or she attempt to work out
some arrangement for a client who wants a script, but they have no authority
to force the issue, and do not issue reprimands. There are a thousand
reasons a Vet may be reluctant to write a script for something as simple as
Heartguard, and each Vet has the right to refuse to do so.
There are dozens of very valid reasons a Vet may not want to write you a
script. And yes, in some cases it may have to do with selling his own
product rather than having you go elsewhere. I personally prefer to buy from
my Vet when I can, and I have one who will match a lower price you find on
the internet or in a catalog. This way, if something goes wrong, I know
exactly who to scream at, and where to find him.
At any rate if you and your Vet cannot agree on this, then you need to find
a Vet who will work things out with you.

MomPerson, who once nearly killed a cat giving a vaccine she had ordered
that had (without her knowledge) frozen, which changed the protein content
and caused the cat to go into shock almost instantly.