[Dailydrool] Mid-ABHR Special Fundraising

Suzanne Fitch adopt4paws at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 07:18:33 PST 2010

We have taken in several special needs bassets lately, including an Addison's basset, seniors requiring extensive vet care, and, most recently, a basset with glaucoma.

Her foster mom, Michelle Chalmers-Morris, has set up a special First Giving page for her. She has written the following about this very special furgirl.

Hi All-
Thank you for taking the time to read this.  This is a cause near and dear to my heart, and I wouldn't ask if it wasn't absolutely neccessary.
This is my foster basset, Mollie, who was surrendered to Mid Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue on Sunday, February 28th.  I picked her up that evening and met the sweetest, most gentle, surprisingly quiet, one-eyed basset girl that I've come across in my many "save the doggie" endeavours.  She is special...and no, I don't plan to adopt her - but Mike and I will do everything we can to keep her healthy and adoptable.  Which is exactly why I ask for your help.

Mollie came to MidABHR because her owner could not afford to give her proper care...hence, Mollie's unfortunate (and preventable) loss of her right eye.  The vets removed her right eye last year due to uncontrolled glaucoma.  They recommended treatment for her left eye as well, but the owner did not contine to follow the orders, and Mollie's "good" eye only worsened.

Mollie had vision in her "good" eye originally.  I planned to take her to the opthalmologist at Red Bank Vet Hospital once we tracked down the original vet records in PA. But the 3 day wait ended up being too long.  Last night, I came home from work and Mollie was blind.  She walked in circles, barely moving from the area near her dog bed.  She was lost, confused, and in great pain.  I took her to RBVH immediately and they confirmed she was blind.  The glaucoma worsened to the point that the pressure in her eye was 4 times greater than normal, causing blindness.  Mollie was hospitalized due to the uncontolled pain this caused, and as many of you know...this is extremely expensive - especially when it's an emergency visit.

Today, I picked up Mollie from the hospital - the good news is that the pressure has come down and she has regained minimal sight at this time...not much - mostly shadows and shapes, but enough to guide her to me when she recognized me at the hospital!  Tail wagging and all.  The bad news is, she can lose all sight completely if she doesn't have a laser surgery done immediately.  There is an 85% success rate for this surgery to keep what little sight she has left.  If Mollie is able to have this surgery, it will definitely raise her chances of being adopted into a new, loving home.  I'm sure many of you realize that there is not a huge demand for 7 year old completely blind basset hounds.

So I'm asking for your help.  Mid Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue is a non-profit organization that does amazing work on behalf of homeless hounds, and they are...frankly, broke.  The cost to treat the many bassets surrendered this past year due to the horrible economy does not equal the modest adoption fees they raise.  I know everyone is affected by this economy in some way, but if you are able to help - in any way - Mike and I will match the donations collected in order for Mollie to have this surgery.

Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated.  If you donate through this site, it will go directly to Mid Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue.  It's safe and secure, and MidABHR does not share or sell your information whatsoever.

Many thanks for your support -- and please forward this to anyone who you think might want to help a hound.  I truly appreciate your support.
Thanks so much-
Michelle

If you would like to help us with vet bills for our special hounds, including Molly, please donate in one of the following ways:

Send your check made payable to "Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue" to
57 Mine Hill Road, Washington, NJ 07882

Donate via Paypal either using donate at midatlanticbassets.com or through our direct link at http://www.midatlanticbassets.com/donation.htm

Use Michelle's First Giving page at
http://www.firstgiving.com/michellechalmers-morris

Thank you for all you do to help the homeless hounds!
Suzanne Fitch
Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue