[Dailydrool] Dog training

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 21:01:07 PST 2010

fyi - many dogs go down differently.

I think it is important to watch your dog lie down on his own and see how he folds first before attempting to train a down.  Then you have a much better idea of where to put the treat if you are going for the lure.  For many, the treat goes right on the elbow so they have to bend. like almost a push back.  For others, they slide out.  Some bend down.  Depends on the dog.

I quickly move then from the treat in my hand to my hand without the treat, closed then open and treat from the other hand with the clicker.  This is important.  And once I get to that, I don't go back to luring.

I still like practicing downs in the bathroom with a bag of treats and a good book~  Not much else for them to do in there... and I feel they offer the behavior more readily.

The harder move then becomes the sit from the down, btw.  But that is what the TV and sofa is for, me to work on puppy push ups~

Best*

Sara