[Dailydrool] Basset noses know

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 16:05:18 PST 2010

Our Elsinore and young Charlie are hosting a slumber party for their
non-basset friend Chloe at the moment. Last night I went over
Jennifer's house, without my dogs, to pick up Chloe and bring her
back here.

I was very interested to see my own dogs' behavior when I got her
home. Chloe wanted to check out the backyard, so I went into the
house without her. Elsinore and Charlie greeted me in the back entry.
I told them I had a surprise for them in the backyard, but they
showed no inclination to go out and see what it was.

When I showed Elsinore Chloe's leash, she sniffed it and pretty much
shrugged her shoulders in a "so what?" way. Then I gave it to young
Charlie to sniff. He inhaled, and his whole body stiffened into
alert. He charged out the doggie door, halted on the deck to quickly
scan the backyard, and then raced down the ramp to find his friend,
who was off in an unseen corner of the yard.

I thought that was pretty cool, that Charlie could identify the leash
as belonging to a friend and then understand that the friend had come
with me. I wonder if he was able to tell which of his three friends
the leash had been on, since Jennifer uses her leashes
interchangeably on Owen, Chloe, and Lola. I'll bet he could tell.
I'll bet he knew to look for Chloe in the yard. Those basset noses
are good.

Elizabeth