[Dailydrool] stool eating/malaseb

Laura Kessler ldkessler at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 6 07:09:29 PST 2010

Even though our Miss Maggie Moo is a lady hound with the highest standards (queen of the house, alpha of the pack, regal ruler of all hounds Kessler... well, you get the idea), she has recently developed an affinity for ... now hang on, this might shock the vast legions of her loyal fans... stool eating!!! "NO", you say....I know...what to do, what to do???
We noticed this new habit a few months ago, so we stopped letting her go out without one of us there to stop her. That helped most of the time, but if she has a few minutes on her own....well, you know what happens. She just was treated for  coxcidia (sp??). I've tried the pills you get at Petsmart and that did nothing. I know that to her, it's just food...but I worry about how this affects her health. She doesn't get out without one of us very often, even though none of our hounds go through the electric fence. I thought I'd try the medicine from Drs. Foster & Smith. But wondered if anyone knew of a better way to stop this.
Any ideas?

Also, I saw on the web that the maker of Malaseb has been closed permanently. I asked my vet for something to replace Malaseb. Dr. J is recommending a shampoo named Dermachlor-K. You have to get it through your vet. I will be getting it this month and will let you know if it works.

 Laura, Moo & Co.
Maggie Moo, Flash, WTB Murphy the Golden, and our loves already ATB Ella Fitzgerald, Sir Charles of Barkalot, our original WTB...Gunner, and now Callie O'Malley

Live Life Large....Love a Basset Hound!!