[Dailydrool] Hoping for thoughts or advice ...

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 13:15:15 PST 2010

Debra and anyone else feeling they are not suited to a particular dog:

It is ok.  Not every dog is the same as other dogs, especially the ones who physically look similar.  Every dog is different.  It doesn't mean that bassets are not the right dog for you, just THAT basset may not be the right dog.

I don't think that anyone should feel compelled to keep a dog that is a not a good fit, especially a young dog.  Seniors to me are a different story because your home may be their only choice.  But with a young dog, it may easily be the right dog for someone else and if you are not actively looking to find it another home or getting the dog training it needs to be ok in a variety of situations, you may be short-changing their opportunity for success.

My suggestion is two-fold based on your email only.

1. If you really feel that she is not a fit and not the dog for you, contact your local rescue group and make arrangements to rehome her from your residence.  What that means is that you will keep her and care for her as you are now until they find a new, more appropriate placement for her in a more active home.  You can probably arrange to receive updates in the future and may even be able to see her from time to time depending on the situation and her best interests.  But talk to the rescue and get involved.

2. Either while this is going on, or if you decide to keep her, get her into a training class with you.  That will give you a connection with a training professional who may be able to offer some suggestions that will help, it will also give her brain exercise which is as calming as anything, and will keep you moving with her, which is a good thing for you even though from time to time it may tire you out.  It will also assure that she does well in her new home and will more easily adapt, and it is possible that after you have been to classes with her, that you may decide she will work out afterall.  I have seen older people and people with disabilities who do agility with their dogs.  It is doable and may be an answer for you and her.   Keeps both dogs and humans healthy to get out and move!  Maybe she is trying to tell you something...and that is what this is all about.  Just a thought.

But if you do end up placing her, then after she is placed, look for a more appropriate dog regardless of age of the dog.  Many people are scared to adopt seniors and they are often the sweetest, best trained, already housebroken and best leash walking dogs of all.  They will certainly love you tremendously and often their lives are extended just due to your love and good care.

We brought in Granny Ma as a permanent foster when she was 14.  Never expecting she would finish a year.  Now she is 18 and still feisty as ever.  But we are ok with feisty and knew it going in.

It is much more important to pick a dog based on personality, temperment, exercise needs, and general living compatibility, but most people want a dog that looks a certain way.  When we get past that and look for the dog that meets our own needs and lifestyle, then we end up with a good match that is healthy for both the humans and the dog.  So for everyone else, don't just look at a rescue or puppy that LOOKS like your last dog.  Observe them and ask questions about their personalities.  If it is a question of saving a dog's life, then get them into rescue while you foster them in your home, and make sure you tell everyone about their emotional, physical and mental needs.

Best with whatever decisions you make*

Sara