[Dailydrool] Hoping for thoughts or advice ...

MaineDebra at aol.com MaineDebra at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 09:19:22 PST 2010

I don't know what to do about my Marcie, and it would mean so much if
anyone had any thoughts or advice.

I have had bassets almost all my life, one at a time, and Marcie is my
fifth.  My other girls were all so similar.  They were sweet, snuggly,  and,
above all, lazy.  Even as puppies, they never wanted to run or play  with
other dogs.  They were always content just to be with me, sleeping at  my feet
while I was on the computer, cuddling up on the sofa with me for naps or  to
watch t.v.  They were my soulmates and constant companions.  I miss  every
one every day.

Now comes Marcie.  I got her at four months, and have had her a  little
over a year.  I adore her.  But she could not be more  different than the
others, and I am anxious and at my wits' end trying to figure  out how to make
her happy.

Marcie wants to run and play all the time.  All the time.  She  never
sleeps during the day.  She tries really hard to be a good girl, and  that breaks
my heart.  She obviously wants to get up early to start on her  day, but
she lies in bed just watching me until I open my eyes, then  she dances and
talks and races to the door.  And she doesn't stop until  bedtime.

I have never, ever seen the kind of joy that she radiates when she is
running at top speed, or wrestling with other dogs.  It is the most supreme
happiness, and that's what I want her to be experiencing all day long.

I take her for two walks a day, one off leash in a field, one on leash
around the neighborhood, for a total of about an hour to an hour and a  half.
I keep hoping these will tire her out, but she only comes back more  full of
energy and oomph.

I am 58 and have some health problems, so I can't walk as far or as fast as
 she would want.  I get so exhausted from the walks that I have to sleep
when I get home, while she tries to play.  She wants to play all the  time.
When I'm working on my computer, she hopefully brings me a ball and
carefully rests it on my lap.  So I then throw the ball to her the length  of the
hallway, over and over and over.  It seems I spend nearly as much  time
trying to keep her occupied as I do working.

I work at home, and I take her with me almost everywhere (all errands,  all
visits to friends, and she's invited to dinners and parties at friends'
and family's homes), so she always has company.  I fenced in my back  yard and
put in a dog door so she can go out whenever she wants, but it's a  small
yard, and she's bored.  I put in a new top-to-bottom all glass storm  front
door (and leave the inside door open) so she can lie there and watch the
neighborhood, but it makes me sad, because she cries softly to go out and  play
with the children and squirrels she sees run by.

She doesn't demand, she doesn't get into trouble, she doesn't pester.   She
breaks my heart because she is such a good dog, such an unusual and special
 dog, and she should be able to be running long distances chasing
squirrels, and  playing with other dogs and children, all day long.

I have tried everything I can think of.  I've tried to find other dogs  to
invite over for playdates, and sometimes they'll come, but it's hard to get
their owners pinned down on times, and it's hard to find dogs at all around
 here, let alone those who really want to play.  I've invited children to
come and play with her, but they can't be pinned down on times either, and
while  they're great for a few minutes, then their interests take them
elsewhere.   I would get her another dog for company, but we're only allowed to
own one dog  where I live.  I buy her every kind of toy, and she loves them
all, but the  stuffies last maybe 10 minutes, and most of the others aren't
tough enough to  stand up to her constant, constant chewing.  (I have to keep
an eye on her  always, she doesn't try to do damage, but she chews almost
compulsively, not  destroying things like shoes, but finding things like cords
and pens she can  chew with her very back teeth.)

I cry almost every day because I can't offer her what she needs.  I  have
now started to dread getting up in the mornings because I know I  will let
her down yet another day.

My sweet Marcie deserves the very best life she can have.  I cry to  think
that I'm depriving her of that.  She deserves long, long runs, and a  family
with other dogs and children.  I don't think anyone could ever  love her
more, but love isn't as important to her as stimulation and play.

Do you think it would be kinder to her to find her a home where she could
play all day?  I can't believe I'm even writing those words, she is my love
and my heart and my life, but because I love her so much I just want her to
 be happy.

Sorry this is so long.  I never want to part with her for even one  minute,
right now I'm even taking her to my daily radiation treatments so  we're
together the 45-minute drive each way, and the techs let her stay in a  safe
little room during my treatments.  But even when I find joy and  comfort with
my sweet baby girl, it's always mixed with sadness that I'm  depriving her
of what she really needs.

Thank you for any thoughts you have.  I just don't feel worthy of  her.

Sadly,
Debra