[Dailydrool] Need advice with a hound who hates kiddies

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 11:26:31 PST 2010

I am going to agree with  Anita.  The girl is absolutely afraid of young children.
You have to accept that you may never know why and work from there.  I love
the advice on desensitization you received.

My Nelly Belle is afraid of young children, including my 7 yr. old granddaughter,
who has never hurt her.  She has never growled or shown her teeth but I realize that
if she was cornered it is a possibility. With that being said I give Nelly Belle a safe
place to be.  She is usually gated in the kitchen where the dog door is or in my bedroom.
If she encounters children on our walks I calmly ask the children to not approach her.
I also explain the reasons and then ask for their help.

If you truly think that this is the girl for you then go for it.  Just realize that you need to protect
both her and the children from each other.  I know my gal's limitations but she is
Momma's girl and we have a very special bond.  All of us have our little flaws but
that doesn't mean we don't deserve to be loved.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-- Author Unknown