[Dailydrool] Need advice with a hound who hates kiddies

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 00:47:05 PST 2010

I agree with everything Anita said. Waldo (now ATB) was exactly the same - he had been in a home with an abusive family, and although he was fine with teenagers, he could not stand to be around younger kids. It worked out fine for me, as I don't have kids and my family with kids was too far away to be visiting frequently. What I learned to do was manage various situations. When friends with kids came over, Waldo was gated in a bedroom with a Kong, and the kids were very closely watched to make sure they didn't try to get back there. I learned which routes we could take for our walks during various seasons - avoid specific parks during spring and summer because of soccer and baseball games, skip certain blocks because there are always kids playing in the front yards who wanted to grab at him, things like that.

It wasn't always easy, but I wouldn't have traded a second with Waldo. If you really feel a bond with this dog, I would go for it, as long as you're willing to take responsibility for keeping kids away from her, and vice versa.

Esther, Waldo ATB, and Basil