[Dailydrool] Need advice with a hound who hates kiddies

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 12 20:21:48 PST 2010

Okay, I'm talking from experience here, I've adopted several severely abused
dogs in the past, and they are wonderful, loving dogs, but you have to
understand and accept their limitations.  This dog doesn't hate kids, she's
AFRAID of kids, which probably means there were small children in her
previous home who were allowed to hurt her.  Can you teach her to not be
afraid of small children?  Depends on how severe the abuse was, but she'll
probably always be afraid of little kids.  Can she learn to be around your
young nieces safely?  Because of how young they are, I'd be concerned, kids
under 4 years old are very unpredictable and don't think about their actions
or consider consequences, so it's very likely they're going to do things
that frighten the dog.  You would always have to make sure that you watched
her and the kids very, very carefully and never left the kids alone with the
dog.  She might learn to accept the kids, or she might always be afraid of
them, you'd just have to give it time and see.  To be honest, if you like
the dog and want to adopt her, I'd suggest crating her or putting her in a
separate room with a closed and latched door any time little kids are
around.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net

  _____