[Dailydrool] Need advice with a hound who hates kiddies

Paul Chinn paul.chinn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:24:11 PST 2010

I lost my elderly hound to cancer about a month or so ago.  For the last few
weeks I've been looking at other dogs to be a companion to my cocker
spaniel.  I've looked at other breeds, but I keep being drawn back to
various hounds and particularly bassets.  Their generally ambivalence to
everyone is something I love for some reason.  Anyway, I met a female hound
in the local shelter today.  She love belly rubs and sniffing anything she
can get her nose into.  Typical basset.  However, she doesn't seem food
motivated at all.  I had a container of treats sitting on the chair in the
meeting room and not once did she go after it.  She sniffed it, then went
about sniffing the other items in the room.  She also hates kids apparently.
They said they had her meet a family earlier this week and when she saw the
kids she hid under a chair.  When the kids approached her, she growled and
bared her teeth.  I've got three nieces under 4 who would be around the dog
at some point.  Is there any way to train this out of a hound?  They tell me
she has no problems with older kids (13+).