[Dailydrool] Basil Rathbone, Drool calendar boy March 8

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 17:42:34 PDT 2010

My calendar is on my desk at work, and I've been home sick for more than a week, so I missed posting. Bad slave!

Basil came to me on March 2 last year, as a result of a posting from Susan (Froggie) on the transport list. The shelter in Louisville had told her they had a depressed 13 year old and would be putting him down if they couldn't get him adopted in a week. It had been seven months since Waldo died, and I wasn't planning on adopting for a full year, but my house was starting to feel empty, and when I saw the photos, I saw Waldo's eyes looking out at me.

So a transport was arranged, and I fully expected to get a depressed 13 year old. This was fine with me; sad seniors deserve love too. When I picked him up from the vet, where the wonderful transport driver had dropped him for a full workup, he was a bag of bones at 26 lbs., but it was immediately obvious that he wasn't 13. Our vet figures he was closer to 7 at the time.

After a few days, it also became apparent that he wasn't the least bit depressed now that he was out of the shelter. In fact, he's a very goofy boy, which is a change for me - Waldo was quite serious. Basil isn't much for traditional toys, but will spend an hour tossing around and pouncing on the yogurt cup I let him empty out. He also loves treat balls, and will happily chase one around the house for hours. I've recently had to start limiting that - he's now up to a healthy 42 lbs., and we don't want him to get any heavier; he's a peanut-sized guy.

All in all, he's settled in and made himself at home. And although he's Waldo's opposite in almost every way, he's wormed his way into my heart and inspired more than one dognapping threat from friends.

Thanks to Susan for arranging the adoption and transport, to Ruth for fostering him until his road trip, and to Dennis for making the long drive. My life would be completely different if not for you.

Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB