[Dailydrool] Need advice for a hound who hates kids

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 13:40:12 PDT 2010

Interesting theory, Elizabeth.... but I have not seen that.

It is more common for a dog that dislikes a specific dog or human to show that for their entire lifetimes to that one individual, but be closer to normal with a another child or additional dog.

I think what happens is that behavior becomes accustomed.  The more it is practiced, the more it is set in stone.  Doesn't mean it can't be changed, but the longer it has gone on, the harder it is to change.

Practiced behavior pretty much has to be interrupted and neutralized in addition to teaching new behaviors.  We tend to intervene more when new people and dogs come on the scene and accept what is already going on.  Not necessarily the best thing, but a thing.

Sara*