[Dailydrool] Need advice for a hound who hates kids

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 12:36:28 PDT 2010

I don't know about training a fear of children out of a dog who may
have been given very good reasons to fear children. I leave the
possibilities of that to the more experienced folks on the Drool.

However, I do know that children don't stay one age for their entire
lives. Four-year-old nieces aren't going to be four forever. They're
going to grow and mature, and it may be that one day when they're
ten, eleven, or twelve, this basset will be able to be around them
comfortably. Especially if she's fine with older children now and
isn't given any reason to fear the nieces as they age. While they're
growing, they can be taught how best to behave around a fearful
basset, which may very well mean leaving her alone.

My aunt had a dog that I was told didn't like children. My parents
reminded me of this every time we went over to visit. The dog told me
so herself by snapping at me when I got too close a couple of times.
I was sorry the dog didn't like me, but I wasn't heartbroken over it.
I learned to respect the dog's wishes, proving that young nieces are
capable of not trying to be friends with a dog who clearly doesn't
like them.

For everyone's safety, though, especially while the nieces are still
so young, I'd keep the dog securely out of the children's sight and
reach while they're visiting. This would thwart any temptation to try
to see the dog behind the adults' backs. I'll confess to being one of
those children who didn't always listen, a child who once snuck away
from a birthday party in one room to try to play in another room with
puppies I'd been expressly told not to touch. The mother dog
justifiably bit me. Letting the basset play at a doggie daycare
during a visit from the nieces would be one way to ensure that no
one's put in a position where they might fail.

It sounds as if this basset is wonderful in every other way. If the
four-year-old nieces (who won't stay four for long) aren't around all
that often, then why not give her a home?

Elizabeth