[Dailydrool] New Droolers

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 14:17:56 PDT 2010

Thank you all for all of the warm welcomes.

Robert,
Actually my hounds were not that destructive....At least not as bad as some
other pups that I have heard about.
Let's see they did chew a 16 x 20 hole through the dry wall of their kennel
area (what used to be my dining room), but this was when they were less than
a year old. We put up a make shift panel board around their room after that.
Since my dining room sits in the back of the house with a sliding door to
the large fenced in back yard it seem natural to make that their room. We
have a gate up in the archway between the kitchen and "their room". They
also have 2 travel kennels for private time, and 2 large memory foam beds.
They have their own room in order to keep them out of trouble/injury while I
am at work.
My garden pond has fell victim to their playful destruction. Colt would get
into the raised flower/pond bed and pull the plants out of the pond...drag
them under the oak tree, then he and his brother Ruger would pull the plant
out, eat it, then destroy the plastic pots.  Even after putting a garden
fence up (for fear that they would drown in the pond since they were still
small) Colt would put his paws up on the fence add a little weight to get
the fence to bend down enough for him to climb into the pond area. They also
pulled the fountain head out of the pump and chewed it into oblivion. But at
least they haven't went after my fish like Wolfgang did when he was a
puppy...he caught and I assume ate every one of my fish in the pond.

Yeah they have had their moments but for the most part they have been really
good boys.  Especially since I got them both from the same litter...It was
like having twins!  I expected a lot worse from them.  Everyone thought that
I was crazy to get 2 basset pups at the same time. But all in all it has
been wonderful to have them.

They do like to rough house...They will chase each other around the yard and
it is so funny...nothing but ears and tails zipping through the yard and
sometimes inside the house.

We must be close to the same age I was born in 68 also. But as an only child
in a small town; mainly farming community.   My dogs where my brothers or
sisters and best pals.  I was kind of a loner since most of my friends lived
a good distance from me.  I have always had a dog in my life (vast majority
bassets) and I have been an overall animal lover my entire life.  It must
have been wonderful to grow up with so many hounds. So many hounds and not
enough hands to pet them all..hehehe. The few times in my life that I was
without a dog I felt so alone, and to me life just kind of sucked!  Needless
to say that didn't happen to many times or for too long of a period of time
until a new hound would grace me with its presence and all was right in the
world once again.

Opps I am rambling...I do love to yap about my hounds.  Life is better with
a basset or two or three or more.  :)

Michele

Ms. Beasley Ann ,  We like girls... Older or younger it's all good for us!!
Colt & Ruger
"Well Behaved Hounds Rarely Make History"